Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am a Muppet


Tell me, dear readers, am I the only one around here who watches "Sesame Street" and can relate to a Muppet?

I do love "Sesame Street", I still think it's one of the best things on television, and that's a very short list for me. (The only other thing I can think of right now, besides serious PBS stuff, is "The Simpsons". Of course, I don't get cable, nor do I even watch TV, so don't listen to me.) I don't get to watch it much, though. It's probably been 6 months since I last saw an episode. Today, however, the planets were in alignment and Lyle and I were home without much going on at the appointed hour, so I invited him to watch it with me.

Somehow, every time I see Bert and Ernie from an adult vantage point, I get the giggles. I can't help it; they remind me of Matt and me. I am Ernie to his Bert.

Now, don't get me wrong - Matt's not that cranky! But those of you who know him when he's tired know that you do not mess with him. (And, like Bert, he would totally be Doin' The Pigeon if asked.) [If you're short on time, just watch the second half of that Pigeon video - you won't be disappointed.] Furthermore, he's tall and thin and has his quirks - he may not collect bottle caps, sure, but he's got his little oddities. And me? Unabashedly Ernie. My poor Bert might be all tuckered out, trying to settle down for the night, and here I come with the trumpets. Or Dingers. Or my Rubber Duckie song, reggae version. And he's there hiding his head under his pillow, whining at me to stop and I'm just having too much fun - I can't! And then, like my crazy "Sesame Street" alter ego, I drop into bed and have the audacity to fall asleep within seconds...literally. Meanwhile, he's still buzzing from my onslaught and lies awake for a loooong time.

Yup. Ernie and Bert. Right here in our very home.

And when my Bert's away - as he is right now - things just aren't the same.

So tell me, do you see yourself/partner/mother/child/neighbor/president in a Muppet?

Please...tell me you do.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I recall looking out the window of my 4th floor room in Dupre first year at Macalester, seeing Aaron standing in front of Kagan (I was making googly eyes at him from the start) and thinking...he kind of reminds me of Kermit the Frog. Something about the way his legs bow just slightly when he stands with his hands in his pocket. And, he's gregarious, kind-hearted, cute. Just like Kermit. And, by the way, Kermit is, and always has been, my favorite--Anya now plays with my Kermit doll. Aaron cannot sing, however. And I DO. NOT. LIKE. the implication about who I am in this scenario. :)

Unknown said...

Oh yes. I have quite a bit of Telly in me. And J. is a total Grover.