Friday, June 1, 2007

Kicked in the Arse

Lest I make my life sound like a never-ending string of cuteness and hilarious sound bytes, let me just say that parenthood has kicked my arse today.

How is it possible that every time I am away from home for any length of time, Matt finds out while I am gone that he has to leave on a business trip 24-48 hours after I return home? This past week was no exception. He called me when I was still at the gate here in Chicago - hadn't even left the city yet - to say that he had just been informed he would have to go to L.A. when I came back. It leaves us feeling disjointed, to say the least.

Last night I was up too late to begin with. Then the boys, totally uncharacteristically, took turns waking up every half hour until 2 AM. I had to be up early to shower for work before they woke up, which meant that I operated on just 4 hours of sleep today. I was so exhausted at work that I actually felt dizzy this morning. By midday, the coffee and work adrenaline had kicked in and I made it through the day, but it's all I can do to stay awake here as the boys fall asleep. They got up to their usual bedtime antics in there but could soon tell that Mommy was really not in the mood for it tonight!

Thank God Matt will be home tonight. We really need a weekend to be a foursome again.

No comments: